5th September 2026
Today I had planned a trip to Abberton Reservoir but first a slight detour to West Mersea to see if I could locate any of the Spotted Flycatchers that had been reported recently. First stop was The Hard which being a sunny Saturday was rammed with people so no waders on the low tide mud, except for a dozen Black-tailed Godwits a bit further along by the boatyard.
Unfortunately, most were asleep and facing into the wind, which in this instance was the wrong way.
Now on to Feldy View Woodland Cemetery to try my luck with the Spotted Flycatchers. The main formal cemetery was totally devoid of birds apart from a couple of Robins clicking in the hedgerow, so straight on to the Woodland Cemetery.
As I entered the cemetery a rather smart male Migrant Hawker was patrolling the fenceline and was pausing now and then looking for a suitable resting place. It eventually found one that met his requirements and I was able to grab a shot before it resumed hunting.
My hopes were raised when I spotted a small bird perched high in an Alder tree but it turned out to be a juvenile Goldfinch.
But then after an hour of searching including the famous Flycatcher Corner, which unfortunately today didn't live up to its name, I found a flycatcher perched high in a Silver Birch in the cemetery. I managed to grab a few shots before it flew off and was never seen again.
Well, got there eventually and a special thanks to Dougal for the information.










No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.