Saturday 21 January 2023

A Brambling In The Garden

21st January 2023

Each winter I put feeders with sunflowers out for the birds and also feed seed on the lawn. This year the feeders have attracted up to 40 Goldfinches with a smattering of Greenfinches, House Sparrows, Blue Tits, Great Tits and a visiting band of Long-tailed Tits whereas the seed on the lawn is appreciated by a flock of 20 Chaffinches, thrushes and Jackdaws, Carrion Crows and Magpies. But unlike previous winters there has been no sign of Siskins, Redpolls or Bramblings.

My son Mark was staying this weekend and asked if he could borrow my binoculars to look at the birds on the feeders and surrounding trees. I replied that he could providing he didn't find anything rare, as I had been looking all winter with no luck. Five minutes later he shouted out "Brambling!!!" Mutter, mutter, mutter.

I grabbed the camera and rattled of a few shots through the glass at which point the flock got spooked and up to now the Brambling hasn't been seen again. Here is a small selection.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.