Thursday 11 October 2018

A Tour of the St Lawrence River

17th-27th September 2018

Phase 2 of our holiday took us to St Johns in New Brunswick and Halifax in Nova Scotia before entering the St Lawrence River to visit 9 more ports. As I have said previously I don't normally take my big lens on holiday, but made an exception in this case because of the possibilty of photographing whales.

At the port of Gaspe on the Gaspe Penisnsula we visited the lovely town of Perce. Nearby there is a large Gannet colony and many Gannets were feeding quite close in the harbour allowing a few shots to be taken between sight-seeing.




A few Eider were bobbing around close to the beach, with one eventually climbing out for a rest.




Further along another brown duck, presumably another Eider, hauled itself out on to a rock and it was only when I got closer, clicking away as I went, I realised that it was in fact a Harlequin Duck. How good is that?


At Sept Iles we visited a museum and in the bushes by the beach were a number of Dark-eyed Juncos and a single White-throated Sparrow.


















Back on the ship again and in  transit from Sept Iles to Saguenay when I noticed a small bird sitting on top of one of the life-boats, a female Common Yellowthroat. Although we were in a river we were still several tens of miles out with no land in sight.



Back on dry land on the Isles de la Madeleine I saw my first waders, some Turnstones and Ringed Plovers...................and yes they are the same species as ours and not a Canadian speciality.








Also flitting along the beach was this Song Sparrow.
 

 

And so, did I get to see any whales? Well, yes I did, many in fact, but no performers just several spouts and rolling backs so that will have to wait for another day. But one thing is sure, I will be taking my big lens on all future trips!!  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.