Friday 23 December 2016

A Return Visit to Wallasea Island

11th December 2016

After my last successful visit to Wallasea Island, time for a return visit to try for some photos of the Hen Harriers. I therefore headed straight for the eastern trail and positioned myself at a reasonable vantage point and settled in for what could be a long wait. The main trouble with the eastern trail is that it is covered in London Clay from the Crossrail project and therefore after a couple of hundred yards you are 4 inches taller and have put on 10 lbs. Anyway, it will be OK when the grass grows.

I didn't have to wait too long before the ring-tail appeared and flew down the northern boundary, typically just where I had just walked. I managed to get a few shots before the bird appeared to land and never re-appeared for the whole day.








Not long after the male appeared and was far more cooperative, flying for extended periods although never coming particularly close. I did, however, manage to get a few shots which I hope to be able to improve on during future visits now I know his routine.
























Well, the daytime show was now over, so time for the cabaret. I therefore returned to the car park for a well-earned cup of tea before taking my seat for tonight's star to appear. Almost on cue the Short-eared Owl flew across the event area and proceeded to hunt over the adjacent grassland, often giving great views and some photo opportunities. What another great day!!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.