21st September 2026
Bitterns have often over-wintered at Amwell but lately their behaviour has changed. When our winters were cold with ice and snow the Bitterns tended to arrive at the onset of the cold weather and then could be seen fairly regularly and reliably either in the north-west corner of Great Hardmead Lake or at the Bittern Pool. They could even be seen skating on ice.
However, as the winters have become milder the Bittern(s) tend to arrive earlier in July, but are far more elusive and sometimes not seen at all for considerable lengths of time. During these periods it is unknown whether they have moved to another site or just keeping undercover in the reedbeds. Well this year the first Bittern of the forthcoming winter was reported on the 30th July and since then only reported twice on the 2nd August and the 15th September.
Today I stood watching the Bittern Pool for a few minutes and caught sight of a Bittern partially obscured at the edge of the reeds. It immediately turned round and walked back into the reeds. I waited for half an hour but it didn't re-appear.
I walked up to the Dragonfly Trail and on my way back stopped to have just one more look at the Bittern Pool and there was the Bittern still partially obscured in the reeds, so only half showing, at the left-hand end and enjoying the warm sun. Only one photo I'm afraid as although I took several it didn't move a muscle all the time it was in view. It then turned around and walked into the reeds.
Well not my best encounter with a Bittern at Amwell, but great to enjoy it in the company of my old mate Ron Cousins.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.