25th September 2026
I go to Two Tree Island every month from September-March for the high tide roost, so off today for the first visit of the season. I walked along the sea wall to Monty's Look-out and was shocked at what I saw!!! Normally there is a large lagoon full of water with several islands as shown here. But not today!!!
When I peered out of the hide I saw this. The lagoon was nearly dry with just 10% of the lagoon covered in water. So what was going to happen with the high tide roost?
Well the first bit of good news was the brief appearance of a Cetti's Warbler right outside, albeit partially obscured by some twigs. I have heard Cetti's here before but never seen one, and therefore the first one I have photographed here on my numerous visits.
I normally arrive three hours before high tide but even then there are a few birds on the lagoon, perhaps 20 or so each of Redshanks and Avocets. Today there were just three Avocets on the whole lagoon and not a single other wader. They did however provide some shots in the superb light.
A lone Grey Plover flew in with a handful of Redshanks and posed for some shots.
Single Greenshanks were flying in, but instead of going to their favourite place at the far end of the lagoon, were disappearing behind vegetation by the sluice. They were eventually disturbed by an aircraft going over and flew to their usual spot.
Then the birds started to arrive in numbers starting with some Avocets, followed by some Black-tailed Godwits.
Then a wave of Ringed Plovers with the odd Dunlin amongst them.
What was different today though was that although the waders circled round for a few laps they were clearly unsettled, possibly due to the dry lagoon or the absence of birds, and flew off again. This happened several times.
Eventually at the full high tide point some started to land, basically because there was nowhere else to go, starting with some Avocets......................
......................Redshanks....................
...........................Ringed Plovers....................
....................and Black-tailed Godwits.
At one point the godwits sensed a threat overhead.....................
..........................and took off as they are safer in the air than on the ground.
They all eventually landed again.
So what was going on with the water levels? Well, I was told that the water levels have been low all summer. During a particularly hide tide water would flow in from the broken sluice, which it has done for years now. But I understand the reason the water levels are so low now between high tides is that the water also flows out though the sluice, which it never used to do.
Well, what a fantastic day despite the low water levels, and on the positive side the fact the birds were reluctant to settle meant there were far mor opportunities for some flight shots.
But the star of the show today was this Wall Brown butterfly that settled right in front of the hide. Wall Browns used to be a common butterfly in Hertfordshire but became extinct in the county several years ago. They do, however, seem to be holding their own on the Essex coast.
Now off the Gunners Park to see what that has to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.