22nd July 2026
I didn't arrive on site until just before 12pm and made my way round to the Reed Bed Hide in an anti-clockwise direction on the off-chance that some Water Voles were showing. No luck there but I did find a few Cinnabar Moth caterpillars on their food plant Common Ragwort. When I was a kid we used to call them caterpillars with football jerseys on.
So what about the Marsh Harriers? Well, ever since the juveniles fledged the female has spent more and more time off-site and only returns in the evening, leaving the male to feed the young. However, this is less important now as the young are starting to feed themselves. The male was not seen during the time I was there and only returned to the site without food just as I was leaving.
So all the action was left to two of the juveniles. At least I only saw two at any one time, or knew where they were. The whereabouts of the third juvenile was a mystery as you normally see all three together.
However those two certainly made up for it and put on a fantastic display during the afternoon hunting around the mere. Enjoy.
Well what a fantastic way to spend an afternoon and some great company in the hide.
























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.