Saturday 25 January 2020

More Shorties at Wallasea Island

18th January 2020

A beautiful sunny and calm day at Wallasea Island so I was hoping for a good haul of Marsh and Hen Harrier shots while waiting for the Shorties to appear. Sadly this was not to be as it was the quietest day I  have seen at Wallasea for some time with just three distant sightings of Marsh Harrier all day and an even more distant sighting of a single ring-tail Hen Harrier.

However , the highlight was a sighting of a Merlin that shot past low over the ground. Sadly I didn't get a photograph as I lifted my binoculars to check it out expecting it to be one of the several Kestrels, and by the time I realised what it was it was long gone.

There were probably four Short-eared Owls about late afternoon, but only one in the area by the stockade.This was covering a large area from the car park right down to the entrance gate but did perform a couple of passes in front of the camera.





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.