Monday 25 November 2019

A Little Bittern at Amwell

14th November 2019

Yesterday the Bittern had been showing well at the Amwell Bittern Viewpoint so I decided to pop down after lunch to see if it was going to appear at about the same time. As I walked over the river bridge towards the main viewpoint I bumped into Mike Ilett coming the other way. I remarked that it was unusual to see him here on a weekday when he replied " Well, I had to come down for this". "Come down for what" I asked to which Mike, pointing towards the Gladwin Hide end of the reserve, replied " a Little Bittern".

Well now I had a decision to make, whether to continue my original plan and try and photograph the Bittern or go for the Little Bittern. About a nano-second later I decided that the Bittern could wait for another day and set off down the track.

The Little Bittern was hunkered down at the edge of the old Lea and almost impossible to make out, just the odd glimpse of an eye or its rough outline, but after half an hour it flew to the other side of the river and settled high up in a Hawthorn bush.












It sat there for a good half an hour and then walked to the edge of the bush and launched itself off and flew to a carp lake the other side of the trees and was never seen again.




Now for the Bittern!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.