Thursday 21 September 2017

A Visit to Landguard Point

15th September 2017

My decision to go to Landguard today was driven more by the photography weather forecast than the migration forecast as a gentle westerly wind is not ideal for bringing in a fall, so I was not too surprised to find that things were fairly quiet. Still a beautiful day in a beautiful place can't be bad, so I set off to see what I could find.

The dry lichen in the desert is always a magnet for Pied Wagtails and today was no exception, and never too far away are Meadow Pipits.








Not quite so many Linnets today as usual and fairly flighty, but as least a couple did sit up on a briar for a shot.






I wandered over to The Point to see if there were any Turnstones or Purple Sandpipers on the seaweed-covered breakwaters, but the lack of waders was compensated for by some performing Common Terns feeding along the shallows.








At that point a juvenile gull flew past and I instinctively picked up my camera and started firing off shots. It wasn't until it landed on the sea and I had a look at the images that I realised it was a 1st Winter Mediterranean Gull which was a nice surprise.








But the star of the show today was the rather confiding lone Wheatear that allowed me to take a few shots to round off a superb day. Landguard is certainly a fantastic place to visit even on a quiet day.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.