Sunday 4 December 2016

Pipits at Rainham Marshes

25th November 2016

A nice sunny day and the end of November approaching so time for a visit to Rainham marshes in search of pipits. It was high tide when I arrived so I went straight along the river wall to the "pipit pool" to see what I could find.

When I was in sight of the pool a Meadow Pipit rose out of the flotsam and jetsam but instead of dropping down again flew off over the wall to the reserve. When I got to the pool it was amazingly quiet with just one pipit at the far end which turned out to be a Rock Pipit. Two down, one to go.




Once on the reserve I popped into the Purfleet Hide now that the scarpe was full of water. Still very quiet, but this Heron provided everyone with some photography practice and saved them from going home empty-handed.


Along the trail I came across my first and only Reed Bunting of the day, a rather nice little female. Where have all the Reed Buntings gone? Normally you are tripping over them.


A little more activity in the Butts Hide as the Lapwing flocks were building up as were the Golden Plover, with 14 today.


But the star of the show was this cracking Water Pipit which strutted its stuff around the muddy margins allowing some shots to be taken when it wasn't in front of the sun. So three species of pipit seen, mission accomplished.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.