Monday 22 February 2016

My Quest for a Red-necked Grebe

11th February 2016

After a superb morning at Mistley it was time to head off for Alton Water in search of the Red-necked Grebe. I had photographed both Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes at Abberton just two weeks ago and therefore it would be nice to add the third rare grebe and also be rather special as I have never photographed Red-necked before.

Thankfully I had received some good directions from Barry Woodhouse and therefore as soon as we arrived at the car park we set off for the hides. On the way along the lakeside path we rounded a corner and came across this female Goldeneye which appeared to be as surprised we were.




Once inside the first hide there was no sign of the Red-necked Grebe, but there was some activity on the nearby feeders. Now as you all know I normally refuse to photograph birds on feeders, but who can resist a Lesser Redpoll at eight yards?




I then moved on to the second hide and BINGO!!!!, the Red-necked Grebe was diving just 15 yards outside the window. How good is that?








Now that I have achieved my hat-trick in just two weeks I have reproduced shots of all three for comparison.

Red-necked Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.