Thursday 20 August 2015

An Early Autumn Visit to Walton-on-the Naze

8th August 2015

Still waiting for the surge of autumn migrants and therefore I thought I would give Walton-on-the-Naze a go. In the past I have had mixed success at Walton, but always considered it to have good potential, and after all it is a great place to walk round with diverse habitats. The site has always been good for Linnets and today was no exception with small family parties flying around. There were also plenty of Greenfinches to be seen, which is encouraging after their recent disease problems.






At the car park, the new EWT visitor centre was taking shape and a young Swallow was obviously impatient for it to open, so sat on the scaffolding. I suspect he would be better advised to go back to Africa and enjoy the new centre when he comes back next spring.


But by far the stars of the show today were the family of juvenile Common Whitethroats that were flitting around by the farm not far from the tower. These were not only a delight to watch but probably the most confiding birds that I have ever come across, allowing photos to be take at a range of just 5 yards.














I know I have said it before, but if only all birds were this cooperative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.