Tuesday 4 February 2014

Bittern Bonanza

22nd January 2014

I have been lucky enough to photograph several Bitterns this winter or, to be more precise, one Bittern several times. However, at the risk of sounding like a farmer, conditions were never quite right with one day raining heavily and the other day being reasonable light but no sunshine. So today was an attempt to get all things right - a Bittern in the open, the light at the right angle and in glorious sunshine.

Recently the bird has been favouring the reed bed opposite the White Hide, so I made my way over to the hide. I had the hide to myself and gingerly opened the flap and peered through. I couldn't believe my luck, for there was the Bittern standing right in the middle of one of the bays cut in the reeds in full sunshine, albeit 80 yards away. During the next half an hour the bird moved across the gap, through the reeds and across the next gap allowing a number of shots to be taken. At last, no excuses needed!!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.