Monday 11 March 2013

Focus on the Great Crested Grebe

I had originally gone to Amwell to try and photograph the Smew but I got waylaid. Great Crested Grebes in summer plumage can sometimes be difficult to photograph because they are often a long way out on a lake or gravel pit and are normally easier to photograph in winter when the young birds are a bit more trusting. However today I couldn't believe my luck because, as I walked up the Lee Navigation towpath towards Tumbling Bay, I came across a summer-plumaged bird on the Lee itself. It was keeping mid-stream and was therefore never more than 15 yards away.

It appeared to totally oblivious to my presence and, as I snapped away, just kept on preening. Wonderful.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.